WBMM> WBMM requirements

Wagner,William WWagner at NetSilicon.com
Mon Feb 10 15:56:59 EST 2003

Cathy,

That is why I ask for real scenarios. Perhaps you have such instances.

In the use cases I am aware of, the outside company either is supplying and installing the printers, or there is a very specific accounting activity physically identfying and marking the printers to be serviced. The outside company not only has no interest in rogue devices, the enterprise does not want the managing company to be able to check what it has on its network. Manageing the network is very much an internal process.

Therefore, if there are real requirement such as you describe, we must not only provide for them, we must find some way to ensure that they can be positively disabled.  Actually, even allowing  for such features make it more difficult to install this sort of capability in many enterprises, and we must make sure that they are a necessary. And, if they are, I suggest an approach such as taken by PSI, where some other means of obtaining this information is identified.

Bill Wagner

-----Original Message-----
From: MARKLE,CATHY (HP-Boise,ex1) [mailto:cathy_markle at hp.com]
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2003 3:44 PM
To: Wagner,William; 'wbmm at pwg.org'
Subject: RE: WBMM> WBMM requirements

Bill,

I disagree that things like discovery do not need to be addressed.  Many
companies do not know how many printers exist in their environment.  So a
discovery would be useful to a remote management company.  I can see another
scenario where a rogue employee in company X buys a printer that the company
does not know about.  I would expect that if company Y has been contracted
to manage all of the devices on the site that at least company X would want
to be made aware of the new device so that it can now be managed, gotten rid
of, etc.

Cathy