WBMM> Strawman for Usage Counters

McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Tue Dec 16 11:07:24 EST 2003

Hi Pete,

This is a good list of counters.

(Context - These counters use names like 'TotalImpressions',
'ColorImpressions', 'HighlightColorImpressions', to separate
different costs of processing and printing.

These counters also use names like 'PrintedImpressions',
'FaxedImpressions', 'ColorFaxedImpressions', etc., to identify
the Service/Device type that generated the impressions.)

Three comments on your counter names:

(1) Job MIB (RFC 2707) defines 'fullColorImpressionsCompleted'
    and 'highlightColorImpressionsCompleted'.
    I _guess_ you mean 'full color' by 'ColorImpressions'.

    I suggest using the unambiguous 'fullColor', as in
    'FullColorImpressions', consistent with the Job MIB.

(2) I don't like the usage of 'Printed' rather than 'Printer'
    (past tense rather than noun) or the fact that it's an
    _infix_, as in 'ColorFaxedImpressions'.

    I suggest instead using a prefix of 'Printer', 'Scanner',
    etc., as in 'ScannerColorImpressions'.

    (note - do scanners generate 'impressions'???)

(3) At the beginning of your list are some apparently
    _system-wide_ counters?

    Keeping 'TotalImpressions', I suggest renaming the following
    _system-wide_ counters  to be 'TotalBlackImpressions',
    'TotalFullColorImpressions', 'TotalHighlightColorImpressions'.

    (note - what object contains these system-wide counters?
    Helper object 'Server' in PWG Semantic Model?)

    I suggest that WBMM (which must name client, server, and
    peer systems) use the term 'Node' as being service/device
    neutral and consistent with network architectures.  And
    define 'Node' as a synonym for 'Network Node'.

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839
phone: +1-906-494-2434