WBMM> PWG Events Schema and standard names

McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Tue Apr 6 13:54:47 EDT 2004

Hi,

Last week at the PWG Process telecon, I mentioned our
discovery that there are four methods in PSI/1.0
that reference the 'NotifyEvents' element (a member
of the Subscription object) in the PWG Semantic Model.

But, the Semantic Model has no IETF or PWG working draft
content in it, including the former IPP Notifications
spec.

There are three alternatives (we decided on the third):

(1) - Delete the PS's response parameter from
      RegisterTargetDevice for subscription to events;
    - Delete the Send[Printer|Job|Document]Notification
      methods entirely;
    [lost functionality in PSI/1.0 spec]

(2) - Advance the entire IPP Notifications spec with
      the complex semantics of the Subscription and
      Notification objects to become a IEEE/ISTO PWG
      Candidate Standard;
    - Revise PWG Semantic Model to include these objects;
    [probably one calendar year - stalls PSI/1.0 spec]

(3) - Develop a PWG Events schema that defines
      'NotifyEvents' as a union of 'PrinterEvents',
	'JobEvents', and 'DocumentEvents'
      (consider adding fine-grained events from
      Printer MIB alert list at the same time)
    - Develop an IEEE/ISTO PWG Standard Event Names
      Candidate Standard
    - Revise PSI/1.0 to reference the Events schema
      to be added to PWG Semantic Model/1.1
    [hopefully 3 to 6 months]

WBMM has an immediate and pressing need for this same
'NotifyEvents' element for their existing Action
'SubscribeForAlerts' and their existing operation
'SendAlert' (needs in-progress Alert schema).

I volunteer to create this Events schema and (with help
from someone MS Word literate) write the working draft
for the companion PWG Standard Event Names spec.

Alan - you may wish to schedule some Tuesday PSI telecons
to review and advance this work.  Bill Wagner agreed that
we should also spend WBMM telecon time, but we have a lot
of other (unrelated) new WBMM content to work on too.

Comments?

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839
phone: +1-906-494-2434