WIMS> Abandon the Counter MIB

McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Sun Apr 24 13:56:32 EDT 2005

Hi,

The Counter MIB has failed last call with a fatal flaw:
It supports counters for Subunits (not permitted in the
Counter Spec, as has been pointed out).

Only a very major rewrite of the Counter MIB would remove
the support for Subunit counters (and future extensibility
for Job counters, as requested by Pete Zehler last year).
The Key group would have to be removed.  The indices of
every other table would have to be rewritten.  This would
prevent a rewrite from coming to a new Last Call in July
(insufficient time to rewrite and review in WIMS WG).

Having already done two major rewrites of the Counter MIB
in the past year, I'm not interested in starting another.

Tired of running in circles,
- Ira

PS - I believe the Counter Spec should also be abandoned.
Adopting an abstract elements spec without a completed
mapping runs a major risk of finding design flaws during
some future mapping process.

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839
phone: +1-906-494-2434