WIMS> Need Requirements for WIMS spec before last call

McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Sat Feb 5 13:45:11 EST 2005

Hi,

Lately, folks seem to have forgotten this.

The PWG Process 2.0 PROHIBITS the Formal Vote of
a Protocol spec until AFTER there is an approved
corresponding Requirements spec (for example, the
excellent PSI and IFX Requirements specs).

For simplicity, we've speculated that we could
add Requirements as an early section of the WIMS
Protocol spec itself (which is reasonable).

But someone has to write this section BEFORE the
'last call' of WIMS spec (because there cannot be
changes in the Formal Vote version, except minor
editorial ones).

The WIMS Requirements section should include:

(1) At least three _crisp_ Use Models with
    flow diagrams
(2) Derived requirements for each Use Model
(3) Security requirements
(4) Common requirements summed from above

At least these three Use Models are needed:

(1) Extra-enterprise fleet management
    - using WIMS Agent Interface only
(2) Intra-enterprise system management
    - using WIMS Management Interface also
(3) Intra-enterprise accounting
    - justifying Counter Schema and MIB

The now fairly ancient previous WIMS (WBMM) work
on Use Models needs major rewrites (in my opinion)
to come up to snuff (shorter and clearer).

Any volunteers for this work?

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839
phone: +1-906-494-2434