WIMS> Black vs Mono

Harry Lewis harryl at us.ibm.com
Mon Apr 25 12:33:15 EDT 2005

The reasoning for using the term Black (vs Monochrome) sure seems
identical in either case (Images or Impressions)... just that Images are
scanned and Impressions are "deposited". If we have used both terms in
past, normative definitions, I guess we'll have to live with them. If not,
we should think seriously about converging on "Black" and making sure we
embellish any explanations where needed.
Harry Lewis
IBM STSM
http://www.pwg.org
IBM Printing Systems
http://www.ibm.com/printers
303-924-5337

"William A Wagner" <wamwagner at comcast.net>
04/25/2005 10:12 AM

Harry Lewis/Boulder/IBM at IBMUS
cc
<wims at pwg.org>
Subject
RE: WIMS> Black vs Mono

Harry,

I agree with your comments, and would argue that ?Black? impressions is
preferable to ?Monochrome? impressions. However, Ron did not refer to
impressions but rather to images. So this is not a question about what is
actually deposited on media, but what is defined in a job. If no color is
defined, then the image may be considered monochrome. A job where a cyan
image is defined would be treated as full color, even if it were the only
color.  If this is Ron?s reasoning, I think it makes sense. The question
then is if the use of ?black? with impressions and ?monochrome? with
images adds to understanding or to confusion.

Bill Wagner