WIMS> PWG - DMTF CIM alignment Work Register

Harry Lewis harryl at us.ibm.com
Mon Aug 1 18:20:16 EDT 2005

Hi John.
between PWG and CIM http://www.dmtf.org/newsroom/releases/2005_06_14, the
PWG now has an active group formed under our Web-based Imaging Management
Service (WIMS) charter. This group is meeting weekly with 7 members (6
Companies) currently participating. According to the Work Register
schedule we are now in the education phase. We want this to be a 2-way
dialog between PWG and DMTF so we invite you to join our discussion to
whatever degree you feel is appropriate. I will forward, separately, the
details and logistics.

We need to agree on a process for developing and communicating the DMTF
Change Request. I will outline our current thinking below. We are flexible
and encourage you to recommend any changes that will better suite the DMTF
and help the process go more smoothly.

1. Co-education. Mostly PWG reviewing the CIM Printing schema, model and
architecture. Also, PWG providing as much background as desired by the
DMTF.
2. PWG will provide print domain expertise and make recommendations in (we
anticipate) 3 categories
  a. Editorial and Minor Errors
  b. Schema Extensions
  c. Architecture and Model Issues
3. DMTF will accept written input from PWG and help format this into a
formal DMTF Change Request
  a. This may be accomplished by providing PWG with a CR template
4. DMTF (John et. al.) will help champion the CR through the DMTF
Architecture Committee.

Our initial reviews have already identified several editorial changes and
one fairly significant architecture item. We recognize that larger issues
will require more time to reach an acceptable resolution. We are thinking
it may be good to group "category a" findings and run these through on the
first CR before moving on to extensions or architecture issues. This will
help iron out any kinks in our collaborative process.

We look forward to working with you John!
Harry Lewis
IBM STSM
http://www.pwg.org
IBM Printing Systems