WIMS> No WIMS Teleconference Wednesday 31 August

wamwagner at comcast.net wamwagner at comcast.net
Tue Aug 30 19:56:17 EDT 2005

Sorry I did not get out the minutes from last week's WIMS Protocol Teleconference.  (I left my notes in Massachusetts) Main points were:

1. There were no objections to Ira's Requirements section
2. There were objections to the way the figures translate to PDF. Jerry offered to reformat them.
3. In transforming Ira's requirements section to MS Word, I had made some global changes that inadventently when into the draft as a whole.These made reading a bit difficult. Since no one else commented on these rather gross anomalies, it is safe to assume no one read the draft.
4. Ira had a set of additional changes he felt were necessary, including a new chapter 5.
5. The potential changes to the document made review prior to the changes of questionable value.
6. With Rick not in attendance, discussion of extensions to support manager-initiated management did not seem appropriate.

With these considerations, we decided to skip the  Wednesday 31 August meeting.

I have posted the updated spec with the global error corrected, Jerry's revised pictures, and Ira's "to do list"  at ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/wims/wd/wd-wims10-20050830.pdf.

Although Ira's requirements section and proposed changes make the spec a more rigorously valid document, they also abstract the protocol, it's purposes and the way it is intended to work to such an extent that I wonder whether anyone will invest the energy needed to understand it. I would propose that, if indeed there is any interest in the idea, a non rigorous, semi-technical, document on the order of the Scenarios be considered.

Bill Wagner

Chairman, WIMS