Fw: WIMS> Extended format for PWG mapping strings in CIM MOFs

Harry Lewis harryl at us.ibm.com
Thu Mar 16 14:54:05 EST 2006

John, I just want to make sure you have seen this mail. The PWG group
working on behalf of the project(s) outlined in our Work Register have
been seeking confirmation from CIMCore on the recommended format for
mapping strings. Can you help get some timely feedback on this?
Harry Lewis
IBM STSM
http://www.pwg.org
IBM Printing Systems
http://www.ibm.com/printers
303-924-5337
----- Forwarded by Harry Lewis/Boulder/IBM on 03/16/2006 12:26 PM -----

"McDonald, Ira" <imcdonald at sharplabs.com>
Sent by: owner-wims at pwg.org
03/09/2006 10:47 AM

wg-cimcore at dmtf.org, jcrandal at Brocade.COM, "'Jon_Hass at Dell.com'"
<Jon_Hass at Dell.com>, Winston_Bumpus at Dell.com, "'wims at pwg.org'"
<wims at pwg.org>
cc

Subject
WIMS> Extended format for PWG mapping strings in CIM MOFs

[Extended for PWG MIB references, not supported in previous version]

Hi John Crandall,                                 Thursday (9 March 2006)

Background:  The PWG is a member organization of the IEEE-ISTO.  The PWG
standards-track has only two levels, Candidate Standard and Standard.
All current PWG standards-track documents are at the first level.  Each
PWG standards-track document is assigned a permanent document number
when it reaches Candidate Standard level, of the form "PWG 51xy.z",
e.g., PWG 5105.1 is the PWG Semantic Model.  Note the infixed _dot_ in
the document number.

Modelled on the existing format for mapping strings for IETF standards
and IETF MIBs, I propose the following ABNF for PWG mapping strings
(using productions from RFC 4234 'ABNF'):

pwg-ms   = pwg-std /                    ; PWG Standard Reference
           pwg-mib                      ; PWG MIB Reference

pwg-std  = DQUOTE pwg-num "." "PWG" "|" pwg-text DQUOTE
pwg-num  = "PWG" "51" 2digit "-" 1*digit
pwg-text = *(SP / VCHAR)

pwg-mib  = DQUOTE "MIB.PWG" "|" pwg-mod "." pwg-obj DQUOTE
pwg-mod  = 1*(VCHAR)                    ; MIB module name from BEGIN
pwg-obj  = 1*(VCHAR)                    ; object name from OBJECT-TYPE

Examples using this format:

  MappingStrings { "PWG5101-1.PWG|Section 4 Media Color Names" }

  MappingStrings {
     "MIB.PWG|PWG-IMAGING-COUNTER-MIB.icMonitorCompletedJobs" }

Note that the pesky infixed dot has been converted to a hyphen.

Comments?

Cheers,
- Ira (editor of PWG CIM refresh white paper)

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839
phone: +1-906-494-2434
email: imcdonald at sharplabs.com