WIMS> RE: Counter MIB questions

Stuart Rowley Stuart.Rowley at ktd-kyocera.com
Mon Jul 10 20:30:27 EDT 2006

Hi Ira and Bill,

I would like to back track from my previous statement that a unique
media key seems necessary. Instead I would like to restate the
problem(s).

1) Print jobs need to be able to uniquely or at least unambiguously
identify the size and type of media that should be used.

2) Accounting applications need to categorize the size and types of
media used for billing purposes.

I'm not sure "unique" is achievable. You listed color/type/coating, but
customers could also want to specify just about any media type
attribute: weight, grain, brightness, manufacturer, content (5% fair
trade hand picked hemp fibers).... so rather than unique, it seems we
have to decide the level to go to.

Accounting applications probably do not normally need this same level of
definition. Indeed most of our devices use just standard types such as
bond, letterhead, transparency, etc. as well as a few customizable
types. Thus, from an accounting standpoint, anything other than the
standard types is custom. So for accounting it is sufficient (and maybe
more desirable) to say "bond" rather than
"white-bond-matte-24lb-89brightness".

Another question I have is if the size is identified in ...SizeName, why
should it also be included in the media key?

Thanks,

Stuart

Stuart Rowley

Kyocera Technology Development