WIMS> RE: Counter MIB questions

McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Tue Jul 11 14:42:43 EDT 2006

Hi Stuart,

Comments inline below.

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839
phone: +1-906-494-2434
email: imcdonald at sharplabs.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Stuart Rowley [mailto:Stuart.Rowley at ktd-kyocera.com]
Sent: Monday, July 10, 2006 8:30 PM
To: McDonald, Ira; wamwagner at comcast.net
Cc: wims at pwg.org
Subject: RE: WIMS> RE: Counter MIB questions

Hi Ira and Bill,

I would like to back track from my previous statement that a unique
media key seems necessary. Instead I would like to restate the
problem(s).

1) Print jobs need to be able to uniquely or at least unambiguously
identify the size and type of media that should be used.

<ira>
IPP does this weakly with the fuzzy "media" attribute and strongly
(supposedly) with the "media-key" attribute in the "media-col", so
those are the normative sources for the existing PWG Semantic Model/1.0
in the XML schema.
</ira>

2) Accounting applications need to categorize the size and types of media
used for billing purposes.

I'm not sure "unique" is achievable. You listed color/type/coating, but
customers could also want to specify just about any media type attribute:
weight, grain, brightness, manufacturer, content (5% fair trade hand picked
hemp fibers).... so rather than unique, it seems we have to decide the level
to go to.

<ira>
During the development of the Abstract Counter spec (PWG 5106.1), there
was strong concensus that the list of MediaUsed must have a unique key
(other than the ephemeral "MediaUsedIndex" in the Counter MIB mapping).

Sorry my example wasn't more complete - I agree that weight, tooth, etc.,
might also be needed in some cases - note that there is no possible
_interoperability_ across printer manufacturers and fleet management
application vendors, because the choice and order of all of these
possible distinguishing characteristics has not been standardized.

But an accounting application in a given enterprise working with a
given manufacturer's printer would want to correlate specific media
with that used in another printer from the same manufacturer (at a
minimum).  A hard problem that got swept under the table during the
Abstract Counter spec development.  Many of these media characteristics
are only currently standardized (and enumerated) in CIP4 JDF and the
FSG/OP Job Ticket API standards.

A really _opaque_ key (e.g., a UUID) is a possibility, but neither
humans nor machines could make any reasonable correlations.

Since Pete Zehler has already added the MediaUsed counters to the
Counters schema that is Semantic Model/2.0 work-in-progress, this
issue has some urgency, I think.
</ira>

Accounting applications probably do not normally need this same level of
definition. Indeed most of our devices use just standard types such as bond,
letterhead, transparency, etc. as well as a few customizable types. Thus,
from an accounting standpoint, anything other than the standard types is
custom. So for accounting it is sufficient (and maybe more desirable) to say
"bond" rather than "white-bond-matte-24lb-89brightness".

Another question I have is if the size is identified in ...SizeName, why
should it also be included in the media key?

Thanks,

Stuart

Stuart Rowley
Kyocera Technology Development