WIMS> RE: Whither the confusion in prtGeneral?

wamwagner at comcast.net wamwagner at comcast.net
Sat Nov 18 17:02:52 EST 2006

My recollection of my (perhaps incorrect) understanding at the time was that Steve Waldbusser maintained that scalars were to be avoided ( I don't recall why) and objects that were scalars  logically  associated with a table were lumped into the General Table rather than being in the group to which they corresponded.  (e.g., default indexes). I know this has caused much confusion over the years.

Bill Wagner

From: "McDonald, Ira" <imcdonald at sharplabs.com>

Hi Rick,

Steve Waldbusser _half_ moved these scalars up.  Though
the actual OIDs are subordinate to 'prtGeneralEntry', the
conformance macros (ever since RFC 1759) have it
backwards, as in the following excerpts:

prtGeneralGroup OBJECT-GROUP
    OBJECTS { prtGeneralConfigChanges,
              prtGeneralCurrentLocalization,
              prtGeneralReset, prtCoverDescription,
              prtCoverStatus,
              prtLocalizationLanguage, prtLocalizationCountry,
              prtLocalizationCharacterSet, prtStorageRefIndex,
              prtDeviceRefIndex }

prtConsoleGroup OBJECT-GROUP
    OBJECTS { prtConsoleLocalization, prtConsoleNumberOfDisplayLines,
              prtConsoleNumberOfDisplayChars, prtConsoleDisable,
              prtConsoleDisplayBufferText, prtConsoleOnTime,
              prtConsoleOffTime, prtConsoleColor,
              prtConsoleDescription }

Notice the completely broken presence of 'prtCoverStatus'
in the prtGeneralGroup - and absent prtCoverGroup - duh!

Thanks for reworking the diagram - I agree that the modelling
is yucky but simpler.

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839
phone: +1-906-494-2434