WIMS> Re: Power Management for printer CIM object

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 13:03:46 EDT 2008

Hi Nancy,

Copying WIMS list so others can comment.

CIM_PowerManagementService is a feature of a CIM_ComputerSystem
- i.e., we inherited it from standard DMTF CIM profiles when we modelled
a network printer as a CIM_Printer contained in a CIM_ComputerSystem
(class corresponds to System group in MIB-II and Host Resources MIB).

Since the Printer MIB has no power management and I can't find
any IETF standards-track MIB that has power management, a CIM
Printing Provider (SNMP to CIM proxy) can't implement power
management interoperably.

A basic principle of the WIMS-CIM project is "we invent nothing new"
- so we can look at existing standard DMTF power management
classes and see if they're appropriate, but SNMP mapping will remain
proprietary in the near term.

For future PWG work, I think PowerManagement is important - it *is*
already in the new Projector and Display Management MIB - perhaps
a topic for discussion at the PWG F2F next Wednesday?

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 9:26 AM,  <nchen at okidata.com> wrote:

> Hi Rick,
>
> I was asked this question about missing power management objects in
> CIM-printer.  This is just for clarification.
>
> We do not have power management object for CIM-printer.  But in
> visio-Printer_15.pdf page 6, you did make a note t hat we may need to
> implement a bunch of "profiles" listed on the diagram that include
> PowerManagement.
>
> What is the plan on Power Management for CIM printer?
>
> -Nancy

Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
email: blueroofmusic at gmail.com
winter: