WIMS> RE: Power Management for printer CIM object

WIMS> RE: Power Management for printer CIM object

Richard_Landau at Dell.com Richard_Landau at Dell.com
Tue Jun 17 13:38:36 EDT 2008

Nancy,

To agree with and expand on Ira's comments,

- Our charter in WIMS-CIM was specifically *not* to invent new
management concepts, but to translate the Printer MIB and Semantic Model
into appropriate and usable classes in the CIM architecture and schema.
We elected not to transfer the semantics of prtGeneralReset to the CIM
model.

- CIM has a CIM_PowerManagementService defined already.  It contains a
method, RequestPowerStateChange() that can be used to change the state
of the device.  In the DMTF Profile for servers, this class is
associated with the CIM_ComputerSystem as the method for changing power
state.  Note that CIM classes are only the protocol representation of
some internal structures.

- When we write the Network Printer Profile, we should include this
class as the way to manage power, similarly associated with the instance
of CIM_ComputerSystem that represents the brains of the device.

I think that it would be very useful to discuss at the f2f

- What states a network printer has;
- Which of those states are externally, behaviorally visible;
- What state transitions should be initiated by remote management.

This would be great guidance for future modeling.  Can we start with the
set of power states in the CIM class and see how they might apply to
network printers?  Here's the list, from the MOF, some of which clearly
to not apply to printers.

          Values {
             "Power On",
             "Sleep - Light",