[WIMS] PWG Imaging System Power MIB (4 Dec 2009)

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 03:17:59 UTC 2009

Hi Bill,

Yes - the powLogTable is strictly ordered by powLogIndex (with
increasing corresponding values of powLogDateAndTime).

Quoting description of powLogIndex directly from the Power MIB:

        Usage:  Values of this object MUST monotonically increase over
        time and MUST NOT reset in the lifetime of this Imaging System.

        Usage:  Values of this object MUST be persistent across system
        reboots.

Other tables in Power MIB don't have strict monotonic indices and
can have discontinuites after a major system reconfiguration, but
NEVER powLogTable.

MORE strict than prtAlertIndex and prtAlertTime in Printer MIB - which
merely recommends persistence and doesn't disallow reuse of a value
of prtAlertIndex after aging/reboots.

Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
email: blueroofmusic at gmail.com
winter:
  579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176
  734-944-0094
summer:
  PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839
  906-494-2434

On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 9:57 PM, William Wagner <wamwagner at comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi Ira,
>
> Sorry, I am still confused by last part of your statement "Deleted
> unnecessary primary index of powMonitorIndex from powLogTable (which applies
> only to System object)"
>
> The MIB descriptions indicate that subunit power states are also included in
> the log. I would assume that having a single monotonically increasing index
> means that all power state-monitored components have their state transitions
> sequentially entered into the same columns of the table, more or less in the
> sequence that they occurred.
>
> If that is not it, perhaps its best to address this at the meeting. I would
> not assume that much of the group is aware of the Projector Display MIB or
> the considerations that went into it, so you may have to restate the
> reasoning.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill Wagner

believed to be clean.