[WIMS] CIM Activity Updates for PWG F2F

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 20:34:47 UTC 2010

Hi Bill,

I spoke at length today with Rick Landau about CIM.

Key points:

(1) CIM_PrintService[Settings/Capabilities] and CIM_PrintJob
     - Rick plans to write these CRs over the Christmas holiday
     - CIM CR tool still too unstable to share (i.e., Rick has to do CRs)

(2) CIM Profiles
     - over 100 profiles have now been published
     - CIM Computer System Profile is the place to start reading
     - CIM SMASH and DASH Profiles are good examples for the
       mandatory power states, operational states, etc.

(3) CIM V3 Project
     - The Problem:  Too many complex, normalized CIM classes (e.g.,
       using the Ethernet Profile requires 40 classes and 80 accesses)
     - The Answer:  New CIM 'read-only' View classes for monitoring
       and new methods for configuration (NO direct setting allowed for
       the View classes) - similar to my PWG PrtViews.xsd from 2004
     - New enumerated datatypes support (e.g., currently some enums
       are *duplicated* 4 times in various CIM Printing classes)
     - Full machine-translation from CIM V2 classes to CIM V3 classes

Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG IPP WG
Co-Chair - TCG Hardcopy WG
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
mailto:blueroofmusic at gmail.com