[WIMS] Errata for PWG 5107.3: Printer MIB and IPP MFD Alerts

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 20:45:59 UTC 2014

Hi Mike,

I suggest that we replace "-error" with "-fault" in all of these printer
state
reasons.

If the current "-error" suffix is simply removed, the meaning of these
alerts
is lost.

BTW - normally, we couldn't change these names in the PrtAlertCodeTC
textual convention in the IANA Printer MIB, because it's illegal under
SMIv2
rules to change the name of an already assigned enumeration value.

HOWEVER - *none* of the PWG 5107.3 section 9.2 updates for PrtAlertCodeTC
were ever registered with IANA - this fell through the cracks in mid-2012.

SUGGESTION - we revise/update PWG 5107.3 and change the IPP and
IANA Printer MIB names from "-error" to "-fault" (or "Error" to "Fault" in
the
MIB) and correct or submit the IANA IPP and MIB registrations.

WDYT?

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
mailto: blueroofmusic at gmail.com