IFX Mail Archive: I'm very very sorry...I have no idea what is going on...

I'm very very sorry...I have no idea what is going on...

Richard Shockey (rshockey@ix.netcom.com)
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 18:54:36 -0600

about the redundant messages... I clearly should have not CC: the list
servers but sent each message to each list seperately.

BTW a someone has already pointed out... attached is the final draft of the
charter.

#################

Internet Print Protocol and Internet Fax (ipp2ifax)
------------------

Chair: Richard Shockey=20
=20
<rshockey@ix.netcom.com> [PROPOSED]
=20
Applications Area Director(s):

Keith Moore <moore+iesg@cs.utk.edu>
Patrik F=E4ltstr=F6m <paf@swip.net>

Area Advisor

Keith Moore <moore+iesg@cs.utk.edu>

Mailing lists:

General Discussion: ifx@pwg.org
=09
To Subscribe:

majordomo@pwg.org

In Body: subscribe ifx [your-email-address]

The subject line should be blank=09

Archive:=20
=20
<http://www.pwg.org/hypermail/ifx>

Description of Working Group:

The Internet Print Protocol [IPP] has been=20
developed within the IETF to facilitate the remote=20
printing of documents over the Internet. At a=20
sufficient level of abstraction FAX on the General=20
Switched Telephone Network [GSTN] could also be=20
considered a remote printing or document transfer=20
technology.

The purpose of the work group will be to investigate=20
and document those elements of IPP that qualify as=20
a facsimile service. A goal of the WG will be to note=20
the legal as well as general custom and practice of=20
GSTN FAX, apply those principles to IPP=20
transactions and define IPP Attribute Extensions=20
where necessary to more closely perform the=20
functions of facsimile.

Current work within the IETF=92s Internet Fax Working=20
Group has centered on using Internet Mail standards=20
in a Store and Forward mode. Considerable=20
evidence exists that there is a need for protocols=20
that more closely approximate the real-time and=20
point to point model of traditional GSTN FAX.

Traditional GSTN FAX is limited to the type and=20
quality of output. IETF Internet Fax standards are=20
also limited to a specific set of MIME Content-Types=20
specified in RFC 2301. IPP has no such restrictions=20
on the quality of document to be printed or=20
displayed.

The work group will consider attribute extensions=20
and behavioral practice elements to IPP that would=20
permit IPP to interoperate with other facsimile=20
services such as RFC2305 [Fax over SMTP] and=20
traditional T.30 fax on the GSTN.

The WG will attempt to avoid any revisions to the=20
current Internet Print Protocol specifications but will=20
attempt to use IPP Attribute Extensions to facilitate=20
interoperability with GSTN FAX and RFC2305.

The WG will not propose any revisions or extensions=20
to IETF Internet Fax standards [RFC2305] and its=20
successors.

The group will take note of other areas within the=20
IETF that may have direct bearing on IPP and FAX=20
interworking.

Relevant areas include: =20

- Security, Authentication and Encryption (SSL3 -
TLS)
- Sender Identification (vCard)
- RFC2301 File Formats for interoperability with=20
other facsimile services

The working group will take note of service quality=20
issues. =20

The working group will coordinate its activities with=20
the Internet Print Protocol working group [IPP] and=20
the Internet Fax working group [FAX] as well other=20
facsimile-related standards bodies and related work=20
groups, notably the ITU-T Study Group 8. =20

Goals and Milestones: =20
=20
March 1999: Submit Internet Draft of Goals and=20
Requirements for the use of the Internet Print=20
Protocol as a Facsimile Service

May 1999: Submit Internet Draft for IPP Behavior as=20
a Facsimile Service

June 1999: Submit Internet Draft of facsimile=20
gateway services between IPP, SMTP and GSTN=20
Facsimile

Richard Shockey
Shockey Consulting LLC =20
8045 Big Bend Blvd. Suite 110 =20