IFX Mail Archive: Re: Sender ID, timestamps and watermarks

Re: Sender ID, timestamps and watermarks

Graham Klyne (GK@Dial.pipex.com)
Tue, 09 Feb 1999 12:48:33 +0000

At 10:24 08/02/99 -0700, Nick Webb wrote:

>>On the subject of timestamp, I think the only one we have to be concerned
>with in a >wire protocol is the date/time of sending. All other timestamps
>are provided by the >receiver and hence are local implementation issues.
>
>I agree, but at the risk of flogging this one to death - do you mean that
>the sender only sends date/time from his perspective and does not need to
>pass timezone information to the receiver?

I didn't mean to prejudge that issue.

I personally think that it would be appropriate for an Internet protocol to
pass timezone information. But I think we must also recognize that if the
message arrives via an onramp then that information might be unavailable
(though an auxiliary gateway timestamp with timezone might be also included).

#g

Graham Klyne
(GK@ACM.ORG)