IFX Mail Archive: RE: Word docs

RE: Word docs

Richard Shockey (rshockey@ix.netcom.com)
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 13:36:07 -0600

At 11:04 AM 3/25/1999 -0800, you wrote:
>IPP yes, QUALDOCs maybe not. I think you are right...IPP should be like
>using a printer on a very long LAN (this doesn't suppose 10baseT by the way,
>PPP dialup should qualify!).

Of course it is assumed that any IPP 1.0/1.1 client could use a dial up
connection.

>But the original name was IPP2FAX of something along thoselines, and I
wasn't under the >impression we had moved all that far from thatdirection.
There was some discussion in >Minnesota about the name, and I went away
thinking that we were trying to make better >faxing and a smaller
implementation of IPP to make that
>possible. If this also helps simplify the remote printing solution, great!

Well the goal is the "reliable transmission and reception of documents
rendered in their
original form." etc. see below for other issues

We really should not be talking about a "smaller implementation of IPP"
thats really not the case. IPP is very very flexible in how it can be
implemented. Carl-Uno Manros the IPP Chair demonstrated at the IETF meeting
a total IPP implementation in print server form (with Ethernet) that was no
larger than a pack of cigarettes. The IPP documentation can be intimidating
to review, at first, but it quickly becomes clear that it is not necessary
to implement every single feature available.

If you do not wish to support certain features.. fine. The exchange of
supported values and attributes is what is important. The question is what
values and attributes need to be augmented or their behaivor modified to
satisify our goals.

>Maybe what we need to do is have Richard restate the overall goal to remind
>us what the charter should be striving to achieve...I will back off on the
fax issue if I am out
>of scope.

Well when you use the fax word ...let me remind folks that there are some
Layer 9 issues involved as in (with apologies to the U. of Colorado folks
who sell those great t-shirts at IETF meetings)

9. Political < You are here
8. Financial
7. Application
6. Presentation
5. Session
4. Transport
3. Network
2. Link
1. Physical

So far I think we are balancing things rather nicely.

Richard Shockey
Shockey Consulting LLC
8045 Big Bend Blvd. Suite 110
St. Louis, MO 63119