IFX Mail Archive: RE: IFX> FW: Last Call: File Format for In

RE: IFX> FW: Last Call: File Format for Internet Fax to Draft Sta ndard

From: Hastings, Tom N (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Date: Fri Dec 08 2000 - 00:06:31 EST

    In reading the I-D, it says on page 8:

                                                          An IFD can be at
       any location in the file after the header but must begin on a word
       boundary.

    However, I do not find anywhere whether a word is two bytes or four bytes.
    If a sender assumed two byte alignment but sends to a 32-bit architecture
    receiver that assumes four byte alignment, this could cause an
    interoperability problem if the 32-bit architecture doesn't allow unaligned
    references. Right?

    Should I make a public comment to the IETF during this IETF Last Call?

    Thanks,
    Tom