IFX Mail Archive: RE: IFX> RE: Fax processing confirmation

RE: IFX> RE: Fax processing confirmation

From: MAEDA toru (maeda.toru@canon.co.jp)
Date: Mon Mar 12 2001 - 04:35:02 EST

    Wagner-san

    At 19:11 01/03/07 -0500, Wagner,William wrote:
    >Maedo-san,
    >
    >Thank you for your response. I regret that a snowstorm has stranded me in
    >New England, and I was unable to attend the IPP Fax meeting. I hope you all
    >enjoyed the good weather. All of those involved in IPPFAX appreciate your
    >participation and that of other FAX experts.

    There was windy and cool.
    There was no bikini girl in Tampa beach.

    >The common point in your response and Mr. McIntyre's message appears to be a
    >means of reporting a problem resulting from an incompatibility between
    >sender and receiver. Indeed, you suggest it is similar to sending a PS3 file
    >to a PS2 IPP Printer.
    >
    >Perhaps I am missing something, but is it not the purpose of the attributes
    >exchange to avoid such mismatches? For the specific example, IPP includes
    >the attribute "document-format" (mimeMediaType). Getting all current printer
    >languages mime-typed is still in progress, but different document formats
    >will be distinguishable. Not only is this an attribute that can be queried
    >by the sender before the document is sent, but the receiver must reject an
    >incoming document with an incompatible document-format.
    >
    >It is recognized that one of the main tasks in IPPFAX is to identify a
    >system whereby the attribute exchange can also deal with attribute
    >interdependencies. But the premise is that the ability of a receiver to
    >accept a document is ascertained before transmission. The notification
    >mechanisms can then be used for page by page progress, certain processing
    >problems (paper handling, memory limits etc), and general job completion.
    >But, if there can be sufficient attributes communication, it should not be
    >needed for processing problems due to capabilities incompatibilities.

    There will be no guarantee that processing failures will not occur in IPP-FAX
    with capabilities exchange.
    Users will have a confidence on IPP-FAX transmission,
    if they get page-by-page confirmation instead of job completion.

    >Best regards,
    >
    >Bill Wagner

    Toru Maeda

    MAEDA TORU