IFX Mail Archive: RE: IFX> FW: [Another take on IPP Fax from

RE: IFX> FW: [Another take on IPP Fax from Terry Brookes]

From: Zehler, Peter (PZehler@crt.xerox.com)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 11:33:15 EDT

    Terry,

    A couple of comments on your comments:

    >IPP also requires infrastructure in the form of IPP servers, so it may not
    >meet the stated requirements of 'using existing infrastructure'.

    IPP does not require "IPP servers" IPP only has "Printers" "Clients" and
    "Jobs". The only thing that matches an "IPP server" would be an IPP
    Printer. I would not consider an IPP Printer a part of the infrastructure.
    IPP uses components such as HTTP, Security, firewalls and registered MIME
    types for content description. These I would consider infrastructure. All
    of these existing technologies are used without any IPP specific
    modifications. Any FAX exchange requires similar components at both ends
    regardless of the transport scheme.

    >Nope, think it's great and would like to see a URI on every business card,
    >but from a business standpoint it doesn't look like a very good way of
    >meeting Mr Maeda's requirements. As far as I can tell he's looking for a
    way
    >to use the popularity of e-mail as the basis for a simple low cost T30-like

    >internet fax machine to replace the 100 million or so traditional fax
    >machines in use. There are estimated to be half a billion fax users, this,
    >presumably, is the target market. I believe its a reasonable assumption
    that
    >a very large proportion of these users now have e-mail addresses; a rapidly

    >growing number use Instant Messaging ( a number which will accelerate
    >dramaticaly when Windows XP appears); but only a very small and exclusive
    >group (the IPP developers ? printer manufacturers ?) appears to have any
    >knowledge whatsoever of IPP. From a technical standpoint Dan's proposal of
    >IPP may be OK, from a marketing standpoint it doesn't look like a very good

    >idea because the user won't have anyone to send to, because, despite the
    >valiant efforts of IPP people, hardly anyone actualy uses it. IM could (not

    >would!) be a better bet on the basis that it could work very much like T30
    >AND have a large number of people already using it. Not IMPP, which the
    Blue
    >Window Software Corporation (Redmond WA) is in the process of killing, but
    >Windows IM which will probably be the de facto IM standard by the time Mr
    >Maeda's machine is ready for production.
    >My own belief is that FOIP will only be successfull if it's as easy to use
    >as a regular fax machine. POP/SMTP has proved to be much too complex to set

    >up, IPP doesn't have a user base even if it *is* imbedded in every printer,

    >so maybe IM will be the answer...who knows?

    I contend that only a small number of FAX users know anything about ITU
    specifications and many don't know the meaning of TIFF. I doubt your
    average email user is very familiar with SMTP or POP-3. Anyone sending a
    traditional FAX or email does know the phone number or email address of the
    recipient.
    I believe there is a business case for ifax and IPP FAX. Ask marketing/end
    users if they would be interested in
    1) Sending a FAX around the world through their Internet service provider
    avoiding long distance phone charges.
    2) Sending a FAX without encountering a "busy signal".
    3) Sending a FAX securely with mutual authentication and encryption.
    4) Having the capability of negotiating to a higher fidelity of output.
    5) Faxing directly from an application with the best resolution available at
    the printer.
    6) Receiving confirmation similar to or beyond traditional FAX (i.e.
    reception and printed).
    7) Having a single device that is connected to both the Internet and the
    phone line capable of sending and receiving FAXs via traditional FAX, ifax
    or IPP FAX based on availability.

    With ifax and IPP FAX we are met with the classic chicken and egg problem.
    At least one side has to be built first. Hopefully the other side will soon
    follow.

    IPP has a track record of interoperability across vendor implementations for
    clients and printers. I expect the FAX profile for IPP to meet similar
    success.

    By the way, user of Windows XP have IPP Client capability out of the box
    just as Windows 2000 users do. Why would IPP have much of a user base even
    though it is available in printers and in Windows given that most printing
    is done locally and traditional methods are the easiest to set up in
    Windows. ("where do we want you to go today?") Windows also have the
    capability of acting as IPP Printers.

    Pete

                                    Peter Zehler
                                    XEROX

[...]