IFX Mail Archive: IFX> UIF Issue 01 - Moving Capability Disc

From: Hastings, Tom N (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 20:49:55 EDT

    There is a third alternative to ISSUE 01 - Move the Capability Discovery out
    of the UIF document.

    Alternative 3: Move the Capability Discovery section 4 to an APPENDIX of the
    UIF spec. Then put a condition conformance statement in the Appendix,
    something like: The CONNEG in this Appendix is REQUIRED wherever CONNEG is
    being used. If CONNEG is not being used, then this Appendix does not apply.

    This third alternative has the following advantages:

    1. It keeps the number of documents that we have to read, understand, and
    keep aligned to two: UIF and IFX, not three documents.

    2. It keeps the CONNEG in the same document where the UIF Profiles are
    defined.

    3. It allows the UIF document to be used as a MIME type without CONNEG being
    used (because the CONNEG is in an Appendix).

    4. If some other protocol that also uses CONNEG, such as Internet FAX, wants
    to use UIF as a document format, then they only have to reference our UIF
    document, instead of referencing two documents.

    5. It is less of a change to our current documents.

    6. If we moved the CONNEG to the IFX document (one of the alternatives
    suggested for resolving ISSUE 01), then some other protocol that also uses
    CONNEG, such as Internet FAX, wants to use UIF as a document format, then
    they would have to reference our UIF document and the IFX document which
    contains a lot of protocol they they wouldn't be using.

    Comments?

    Tom