IFX Mail Archive: IFX> RE: More detail about the IPPFAX pres

From: McIntyre, Lloyd (Lloyd.McIntyre@pahv.xerox.com)
Date: Mon Aug 20 2001 - 17:05:56 EDT

    Tom,
    Please accept my apology for the late response.

    Please see below.

    Lloyd

            [LM] The concern is w.r.t. UIF and MIME type. Should UIF contain
    encoding parameter that are not consistent with those in the registered
    TIFF-FX MIME type then it should be distinguished appropriately.

    > Are there some things that we are doing to require more for our UIF S, F,
    > J, C, L, M profiles that parallel TIFF/FX profiles that might cause a
    > problem?
            [LM] Mandatory 300 and 600 dpi support requirement is the only
    possibility I see. It may be argued that 600 dpi is not supported in the
    current TIFF-FX spec.
            BTW - it is TIFF-FX rather than TIFF/FX.

    > What about the one or two additional TIFF tags for UIF?
            [LM] If these d tags add encoding or file requirements, which are
    not comprehended within TIFF-FX, then this plays to the IFax WG's concerns.
    IPPFax could consider defining a UIF profiling spec for TIFF-FX rather than
    a UIF file format spec. This should sidestep issues of Adobe granting
    license to the PWG/IEEE and IFax WG concerns of MIME type compatibility.