IFX Mail Archive: IFX> Re: A Modest Proposal

IFX> Re: A Modest Proposal

From: Hiroshi Tamura (tamura@toda.ricoh.co.jp)
Date: Thu Oct 25 2001 - 19:55:20 EDT

    Excuse me for long mail. The original was not circulated in IETF-FAX ML.

    Very difficult to change the format now.
    More than 3 years have passed since RFC2301-2306 and ITU-T T.37 came out.

    We already have products in our markets. For example,
    My company, Ricoh, sells more than 1,000 I-Fax devices
    that conforms to RFC2305/2301 and T.37. I do not know the exact number.
    They are not software. Not easy to change ROM.

    There are lots of I-Fax products in the world, including I-FAX software.
    At least more than 10,000, I believe. The number is increasing.
    Most Japanese Fax manufactures already have I-Fax products (devices)
    or will start to sell it.

    If changed easily, they could lose interoperability.
    Also, the standardized body might lose customer's trust.

    I would like to say, as already suggested,
    there were no comments from Adobe at WG Last Call and IETF Last Call
    in the process of these RFCs. Also, there were no objections
    in the process ITU-T T.37.

    As a co-chair, I know this issue should be solved very carefully.
    We have to take Adobe's comment in some ways.
    But, impossible to change so that lots of interoperability would be lost.

    Regards,

    --
    Hiroshi Tamura, Co-chair of IETF-FAX WG
    E-mail: tamura@toda.ricoh.co.jp