IFX Mail Archive: IFX> IPPFAX Security decisions at the Oct

From: Hastings, Tom N (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Date: Thu Nov 29 2001 - 16:55:57 EST

    The excellent minutes of the Oct 24 IPPFAX WG meeting indicate the following
    about the security for IPPFAX and the tables 13-16:

    Issue 3 - Security Questions - Table 13-16
    Can TLS be configured to operate in the clear, without a certificate?
    Receiver needs certificate to accept data with integrity check.
    Sender needs certificate as well as receiver for authentication.
    TLS allows negotiation to NTLM or Kerberos
    There was discussion of impact/cost of requiring certificates for all
    devices. This is affected by loss of IPP as fallback. Decision to allow
    client non-authenticated mode.
    The discussion of security issues was not completed.

    We should continue the discussion on the email list and see what we can
    agree to about security. I hope to have the updated IPPFAX spec out in the
    next couple of days with the agreements that we did reach at the October
    IPPFAX WG meeting. Perhaps we can have one more telecon in early December
    to see what further issues we can resolve, especially in the security area.

    Tom