IFX Mail Archive: IFX> Application of TIFF-FX Draft Standard

From: Harry Lewis (harryl@us.ibm.com)
Date: Wed Jan 23 2002 - 16:08:21 EST

    Scott, as you are aware, the ISTO Printer Working Group is standardizing
    an application of IPP which is intended to perform similar to the current
    "FAX" paradigm with the addition of capabilities matching and status which
    the IPP protocol permits. To assure a high degree of interoperability a
    "universal" (image) format is required. We recognized that TIFF-FX will
    meet our image requirements. As IPP is an IETF standard we felt it natural
    (and proper) to consider TIFF-FX for IPP-Fax.

    Can you summarize the current status of licensing for TIFF-FX from Adobe's
    point of view? From your perspective, will there be any problem with
    IPP-Fax specifying TIFF-FX as the universal format? In the past you have
    indicated that this may require a separate request for licence from the
    PWG. Can you please indicate if you still feel this is necessary and, if
    so, what type of licence is Adobe likely to consider?
    Harry Lewis
    Chairman - ISTO Printer Working Group
    IBM Printing Systems