IFX Mail Archive: Re: IFX> PDF Reference Book....

Re: IFX> PDF Reference Book....

From: don@lexmark.com
Date: Fri Aug 23 2002 - 14:01:23 EDT

    Rick, et al:

    Despite two months elapsing since the last IFX meeting, I still do not have an
    understanding of the position that Adobe either has taken or will take with
    regards to the patents necessary to implement PDF 1.4 and its successors. I am
    extremely reluctant to encourage, endorse or even vote for the IFX group to
    start down a path of using PDF (maybe initially 1.3 but in the future who knows
    which version) without a clear statement from Adobe that they plan to license
    all the PDF 1.4's and its successors' patents on the same royalty-free terms and
    conditions as the patents applicable to 1.3 and its predecessors.

     Don Wright don@lexmark.com

     Member, IEEE SA Standards Board
             PatCom Chair, SCC Liaison
     Member, IEEE-ISTO Board of Directors