IFX Mail Archive: RE: IFX> Attempt to close on the two Notif

RE: IFX> Attempt to close on the two Notification specs at the fa ce to fac e meetings

From: McDonald, Ira (imcdonald@sharplabs.com)
Date: Mon Aug 26 2002 - 17:26:01 EDT

    Hi Tom,

    First - I agree that it would still be good to drop redirect from IPPGET
    and design it IN GENERAL for IPP (any operation response could return
    the redirect), including the fact that while it's nice for interoperability
    IPP Clients do NOT need to honor and follow redirects (any more than
    HTTP Clients need to do so - it's a matter of client policy).

    Second - if we publish IPPGET as a Proposed Std RFC (as you suggest)
    and LATER add redirect, we MUST recycle at Proposed Std RFC - it's
    illegal to add ANY new features when moving from Proposed Std to
    Draft Std status - only dropping existing features is legal.

    Cheers,
    - Ira McDonald
      High North Inc