IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> Notification Requirements

RE: IPP> Notification Requirements

Turner, Randy (rturner@sharplabs.com)
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 06:45:18 -0800

Can you elaborate a little on the exact method for how a client would
apply localization to a server-generated message?

Randy

-----Original Message-----
From: Gordon, Charles [SMTP:CGordon@wal.osicom.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 1998 6:37 AM
To: 'Carl-Uno Manros'; Roger K Debry; ipp@pwg.org
Subject: RE: IPP> Notification Requirements

If localization of messages is a requirement (and it should be),
I would
suggest that messages be localized by software on the receiver's
PC.
This would work as follows:

1. IPP server sends message (by whatever means) to an IPP
client on the
remote user's PC. This message would be formatted to be easily
machine
readable.
2. Software on remote user's PC retrieves the message and
localizes it.
3. Localized message it displayed to user.

The advantage in this approach is that the IPP server does not
need to
support different languages and character sets. Instead, IPP
client
software does this. Since the client software is on the remote
user's
PC, the user would, presumably, have installed a localized
version of
the software, and the PC will be setup with the correct
character set.

It will probably be desirable to make the original message sent
from the
IPP server to the client human readable as well as machine
readable.
This would allow users to read the message even if they don't
have IPP
client software. This could be done by either generating the
message as
English text (the defacto International standard language)
formatted to
make parsing by software easy, or by generating a two part
message where
one part is text and the other part is machine readable.

If email is used for notification messages (and it does seem
like a good
choice), then the message from the IPP server could be sent to a
special
mailbox setup at the remote site. The IPP client software could
be a
specialized mail client which decodes the messages, localizes
them, and
displays them to the user. If the user does not have IPP client
software, he would still be able to access the messages with a
standard
mail client and read them in English.

That's just a suggestion for how I would approach the problem.
The main
point I am trying to make (which I am sure someone has already
made) is
that the IPP server should not have to localize notification
messages.
Localization should be done on the client side.

________________________________
Charles Gordon
Osicom Technologies, Inc.
cgordon@osicom.com
http://www.digprod.com

Japan and
> want
> to have any notifications to my collegue in Tokyo in Japanese,
while I
> want
> to have my own notifications in Swedish :-)
>
> Can we create a scenario for this?
>
> Carl-Uno
>

> At 08:22 AM 2/10/98 PST, Roger K Debry wrote:
> >I have taken a pass at writing down a set of notification
> requirements.
> >They are in the PDF file attached to this note. I'd be glad
to take
> >comments and suggestions and turn this into a formal
requirements
> >document, if you all feel that this would be useful.
> >

> >Roger K deBry
> >Senior Technical Staff Member
> >Architecture and Technology
> >IBM Printing Systems
> >email: rdebry@us.ibm.com
> >phone: 1-303-924-4080
> >
> >Attachment Converted:
> "C:\WINNT\profiles\cmanros\personal\Attach\notify.pdf"
> >
> Carl-Uno Manros
> Principal Engineer - Advanced Printing Standards - Xerox
Corporation