IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> Does the world need a robust host-to-device network

Re: IPP> Does the world need a robust host-to-device network

James Walker (walker@dazel.com)
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 17:02:38 -0600

Jay Martin wrote:

> Exactly. Again, people's comments to me come out as:
>
> "When compared to existing (proprietary/defacto) network printing
> protocols, IPP adds so little that it does not provide the impetus
> to change existing infrastructures in the Intranet environment."

I think that this is the nut. If a print hardware vendor is only going
to embed *one* more protocol into their printer, would it be IPP? Is
it enough of a good thing to build it? If you build it, will they come?

To say it another way, is this *the* protocol that all of the print
vendors are going to implement so that, now, I, an application writer,
can migrate to this one protocol to drive all the latest and greatest
print hardware.

On the other hand, if you, Mr. printer vendor, are happy as a clam
to keep embedding protocols until the cows come home, then it does
not matter.

...walker

--
Jim Walker <walker@dazel.com>