IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> Teleconference minutes for 11 Feb 98

Re: IPP> Teleconference minutes for 11 Feb 98

Carl-Uno Manros (cmanros@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 15:20:26 PST

Jay,

A slight correction to the minutes. I am certain I never talked about
starting an IPP v2.0 effort at this stage, I was suggesting that maybe the
IETF Area Directors might prefer a separate little project on IPP
Notifications, which would be complementary to IPP v1.0.

Carl-Uno

At 10:25 AM 2/12/98 PST, Jay Martin wrote:
>The teleconference started at approximately 1pm PDT.
>Attendees included:
>
>Roger DeBry (IBM)
>Harry Lewis (IBM)
>Carl Kugler (IBM)
>Carl-Uno Manros (Xerox)
>Peter Zehler (Xerox)
>Scott Barnes (Xerox)
>Tom Hastings (Xerox)
>Swen Johnson (Xerox?)
>Jim Walker (DAZEL)
>Jay Martin (Underscore)
>
>The primary topic of the day was "Asynchronous Notifications".
>
>Carl-Uno proposed that a BOF be held at the upcoming IETF meetings as
>a way of starting the IPP v2.0 effort, in which async notifications
>would be part of that effort. The group believed there was no need to
>startup an following WG for IPP in order to advance the definitions
>for async notifications; instead, Internet Drafts (I-D's) could be
>published for such purposes.
>
>One fundamental goal of the group was that support of async
>notifications within IPP should NOT necessarily mandate the
>development of a new protocol. Instead, every effort will be made to
>leverage existing protocols and practices whenever and wherever
>possible.
>
>The group then walked through Roger's proposal submitted to the IPP
>DL.
>
> * The focus is on End-User only; no administrative nor operator
> requirements are to be considered, at least at this point.
>
> * A new pair of terms is needed to denote "Reliable" and
> "Unreliable" types of notifications, much in the same manner as
> the "Immediate"/"Delayed" types.
>
> * An additional term is needed to denote a notification comprising
> both "Human Consumable" and "Machine Consumable".
>
> * Requirement 6: The IPP Printer should be able to notify the client
> when the delivery of an Event to a target Event Recipient fails;
> no specific details were proposed, but the discussion revolved
> around the idea of having the client optionally supply an email
> address to be used by the IPP Printer to send such event delivery
> failure messages.
>
> * Need to show an additional scenario having multiple Event
> Recipients.
>
>Roger volunteered to be the Requirements document Editor, and
>committed to publishing the first official draft to the IPP list no
>later than Tuesday, February 17.
>

>The topic then changed over to the recent DL thread concerning the
>need for a more robust "host-to-device" printing protocol. It was
>pointed out that this discussion really transcends the IPP WG, and
>that in no way should the IPP Chairman feel compelled to manage this
>discussion. It was suggested that perhaps a new PWG project (or at
>least a new DL) be formed for this topic; in the meantime, the IPP DL
>will be used for convenience.
>
>Roger suggested that people raising issues with IPP for use in host to
>printer scenarios should indicate whether the problem is with the
> [...]
Carl-Uno Manros
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: manros@cp10.es.xerox.com