IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> host-to-device ...

RE: IPP> host-to-device ...

Wagner, William (WWagner@wal.osicom.com)
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 18:41:22 -0500

[Wagner, William] I certainly got the impression that some were
suggesting that IPP was inappropriate for intranets. Others suggest that
it is inadequate for Internets. And others, such as Phillip, observe
that IPP is not the one ultimate protocol. Perhaps all are correct. And
I agree that a be-all do-all protocol is not feasible (and indeed, it
was never the objective of IPP).

As to supporting multiple protocols, take a look at what we have
today. TCP sockets (at various port numbers) , LPD (of various flavors),
Apple PAP, DLC, NetBeui, NetWare Print Server, NetWare NPrinter, NetWare
NDPS (all at various frame types), FTP and Telnet. Add JetSend,
Salutation, EMail printing (POP3), HTTP and SNMP (the last two for
management) etc. Hey, whats wrong with adding a couple more?
W. A. Wagner (Bill Wagner)
OSICOM/DPI