IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> Re: Does the world need a robust host-to-device

Re: IPP> Re: Does the world need a robust host-to-device

Tom Hastings (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 17:22:59 PST

I agree completely with Harry here. We need to build on IPP, not start
anew.

In fact to further the discussion on defining such a "robust host-to-device"
network printing protocol (probably NOT across firewalls) and to test
whether we can really build on IPP (as Harry and I advocate):

People that are raising issues with IPP as the "robust host-to-device
network printing protocol when not going across firewalls",
please indicate whether the problem is with the current IPP Model document
or the current IPP protocol document.

For the problems with the Model document, they may be resolvable by
extending the Model, by, say, adding more Printer attributes and maybe
a Set-Printer-Attributes operation? And, of course, notification.

For problems that were with the protocol (mapping) document, the PWG might
develop a second IPP protocol document for use in the host to printer
connection whose semantics would be the same (extended) IPP Model document.
This second IPP protocol mapping document would be a PWG standard, not an
IETF standard, since the document deals with the host to printer connection
only (and not the Internet).

NOTE that some printers would implement both IPP protocol mappings, if they
wanted to be used across the Internet and in the host to printer connection.
But with the same semantic model, such a dual implementation would not be
a big burden.

Tom