IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> MS XML Proposal

Re: IPP> MS XML Proposal

Jay Martin (jkm@underscore.com)
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 17:02:20 -0500

Bob,

> I believe it is the DTD (plus extensions) that makes the XML approach
> superior to the binary encoding. Without the DTD, XML is still slightly
> better than the binary encoding, but probably not enough better to win more
> converts.

Many of us believe that a special-purpose binary encoding (eg, IPP)
is *highly* undesirable under almost *any* circumstance. Recall
that at the June '96 IPP meeting (Nashua), a majority of people were
dead-set against a binary encoding of *any* kind, much less a special-
purpose one designed for a single application (ie, IPP).

Since XML is essentially a text-based encoding, I'd bet we'd see
a lot more "converts" than you might think.

...jay

PS: I've posted this reply (and your complete message) to the IPP
list, as I suspected you forgot to cc: the IPP DL. My apologies
if this was not your intention. ;-)

-- JK Martin | Email: jkm@underscore.com --
-- Underscore, Inc. | Voice: (603) 889-7000 --
-- 41C Sagamore Park Road | Fax: (603) 889-2699 --
-- Hudson, NH 03051-4915 | Web: http://www.underscore.com --