IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> Need clarification: Job Template Attributes: Optional or n

Re: IPP> Need clarification: Job Template Attributes: Optional or n

Van Dang (vandang@hprnd.rose.hp.com)
Wed, 04 Mar 1998 15:29:08 -0800

Carl Kugler wrote:

> Section 15.3.4.3, "Validate the presence of a single occurrence of required
> Operation attributes", shows Job Template attributes as (M*) for Print-Job,
> Validate-Job, Create-Job, and Print-URI requests. (M*) indicates MANDATORY
> attributes that an IPP object MUST support, but that a client may omit in a
> request or an IPP object may omit in a response. The reader is referred to
> Section 4.2, where it says "Support for Job Template attributes by a Printer ob
> ject is OPTIONAL" and refers the reader to 12.2.3, to read "Even though support
> for Job Template attributes by a Printer object is OPTIONAL, it is RECOMMENDED
> that if the device behind a Printer object is capable of realizing any feature
> or function that corresponds to an IPP attribute and some associated value, th
> en that implementation SHOULD support that IPP attribute and value."
> Is there a contradiction between 15.3.4.3 and (4.2 or 12.2.3), or am I missing
> something?

I had the same question when I was going over the document. Perhaps
Section 15.3.4.3 should indicate that the Job Template Attributes are
(O*) instead of (M*) since the attribute group itself is OPTIONAL.