IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> Notification content

RE: IPP> Notification content

Tom Hastings (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 09:50:40 PST

If the notification transport is SNMP, then I can see why the
registration would be difficult if it included sending attributes
that the registration specified.

On the other hand, if the registration mechanism is simply attributes
in a Job object that remain stored in that Job object for the life of
the job, then allowing the requester to include the attribute names to
be sent with the notification is straightforward and natural.

SNMP transport binding, the trap recipient has to go and read the
attributes desired, but in a notification transport binding to, say,
UDP data grams or email, the attributes and their current values at the
time of the event would be bound into the notification information.

Tom