IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> Printer state

Re: IPP> Printer state

Tom Hastings (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 17:55:01 PST

Yes, the Printer object implemented in a server object does accept the
job even though the device is powered down.

And the requester MAY get an indication that there is a problem, because
the job's OPTIONAL "job-state-reason" attribute that MAY be returned in the
Print-Job response containing the value: 'printer-stopped'
(or 'printer-stopped-partly' in the case that only some of the fan-out
printers are stopped). Unfortunately, the requeseter will NOT get this
indication in the response, if the IPP Printer object does not implement
the OPTIONAL "job-state-reasons" attribute.

The client can then query the Printer's "printer-state"
and "printer-state-reasons" attribute and see that the "printer-state"
is 'stopped' and the "printer-state-reasons" is 'error-shutdown'
('warning-shutdown' if only some of the fan-out printers are shutdown).

The explanation of the 'stopped' state on page 89 of the Model document
says (in its entirity of two paragraphs):

'5' 'stopped': If a Printer receives a job (whose required resources are
ready) while in this state, such a job SHALL transit into the pending state
immediately. Such a job SHALL transit into the processing state only after
some human fixes the problem that stopped the printer and after jobs ahead
of it complete printing. The "printer-state-reasons" attribute SHALL
contain at least one reason, e.g. media-jam, which prevents it from either
processing the current job or transitioning a pending job to the processing
state.

Note: if a Printer controls more than one output device, the above
definition implies that a Printer is stopped only if all output devices are
stopped. Also, it is tempting to define stopped as when a sufficient
number of output devices are stopped and leave it to an implementation to
define the sufficient number. But such a rule complicates the definition
of stopped and processing. For example, with this alternate definition of
stopped, a job can move from idle to processing without human intervention,
even though the Printer is stopped.

Does the Model document need any futher clarification?

Tom