IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> IPP document set - naming convention(s)

Re: IPP> IPP document set - naming convention(s)

Robert Herriot (robert.herriot@Eng.Sun.COM)
Fri, 13 Mar 1998 12:05:33 -0800

I think we had this discussion in Austin as part of Tom's proposal. We
decided to change the name of the protocol document. Its new name is
“Internet Printing Protocol/1.0: Encoding and Transport”. We decided not to
split the two documents.

Although the IPP encoding is, in theory, transport independent. In fact, it
depends on HTTP chunking. With an alternate transport, we would have to
solve the chunking problem. It would be more efficient if the document data
were the only part chunked, but that would require a change to the encoding
layer.

So, at this point, I don't endorse separating the two documents.

Bob Herriot