IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP>MOD Suggest dropping type 4 keyword to simplify impl

Re: IPP>MOD Suggest dropping type 4 keyword to simplify impl

Robert Herriot (robert.herriot@Eng.Sun.COM)
Thu, 19 Mar 1998 12:26:33 -0800

I made a typo. Change the last 3 to a 4. This sentence was repeating what I
had
said in the second paragraph correctly. The corrected sentence is.

All we have to say is that attributes whose values are of=A0 "type 4=
keyword |
name" become=A0 "type 3 keyword | name" and we abolish "type 4 keywords".

At 08:25 AM 3/19/98 , Carl Kugler wrote:
>I don't understand this sentence:
>
>> All
>> we have to say is that attributes whose values are of=A0 "type 4 keyword=
|
>> name" become=A0 "type 3 keyword | name" and we abolish "type 3 keywords".
>
>=A0 -Carl
>

>ipp-owner@pwg.org on 03/18/98 04:38:55 PM
>Please respond to ipp-owner@pwg.org @ internet
>To: ipp@pwg.org @ internet
>cc:
>Subject: IPP>MOD Suggest dropping type 4 keyword to simplify implemen
>

>Tom and I discussed this issue and I agreed to write it up.
>
>Summary
>
>In the model document, all attributes whose values include "type 4=
keyword"s
>are actually "type 4 keyword | name".=A0 Name and type 4 provide two nearly
>identical mechanisms that will burden IPP implementations and confuse
>administrators.
>
>I propose that we drop type 4 keywords and state that the "name"=A0=
provides
>the sole mechanism for an administrator to add new values.=A0 If we want to
>support multiple languages for administrator created names, we can allow
>name values to stand for a collection of names, each in a different
>language. But this is not a protocol issue -- it is a server implementation
>and administrator issue.=A0 It becomes a hint to implementors and does not
>change the protocol.
>
>Details
>
>The current model document has four levels of keywords from type1 to type=
4.
> We intended that type 4 keywords would be created locally by
>administrators, and that type 1 through type 3 would be registered with=
IANA