IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> MOD/ADM - Trouble with references

RE: IPP> MOD/ADM - Trouble with references

Tom Hastings (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Mon, 6 Apr 1998 16:03:30 PDT

Yes, Paul is right. Changing the name of an attribute affects the

bytes on the wire, since the keyword name of the attribute is sent

on the wire.

So if we change from "printer-uri" to "printer-url", we are changing

the on the wire protocol too (as well as the model).

All the attributes affected would be:

Operation attributes:

printer-uri

document-uri

Job attributes:

job-uri

job-printer-uri

Printer attributes:

printer-uri-supported

uri-security-supported

reference-uri-schemes-supported

Error status codes (editorial only):

client-error-request-uri-too-long

client-error-uri-scheme-not-supported

There are a number of attributes whose data syntax is 'uri', but don't

have uri in their names, so we could either change these name

RFC 1630 has the following note on the first page:

<bigger>IESG Note:

Note that the work contained in this memo does not describe an

Internet standard. An Internet standard for general Resource

Identifiers is under development within the IETF.

</bigger>At 13:18 04/06/1998 PDT, Paul Moore wrote:

> URI The URI draft has not matured to the standards

>track. There are some

> serious problems to resolve, which may take

>considerable

> time. The

> advice from Larry Masinter, who is the editor, seems

>to be to go

> back to using URL where ever we use URI (which would

>also

> mean changing a number of

> attribute names!).

>Which changes the wire representation! This is not just a
documentation

>issue.

is

>> that we are in trouble with a couple of our references in the IPP
drafts.

>> This means that even if we get past the IESG review, we will have
trouble

>> when documents arrive at the RFC editor's desk.

>> Here are the problem children:

>> RFC2234 ABNF, although this is an RFC officially on the standards

>> track,

>> Dave Crocker who is the editor, indicated that there are
still

>> a couple of minor
editorial

>> changes to fix. He will do those ASAP.

>> TLS TLS has been accepted by the IESG, but they have a reference

>> problem

>> with PKIX, which still has to be resolved. The quick
fix

>> will

>> be to change
PKIX