IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> PRO Section 9.7 vs. MOD section 4.3: need clarifica

Re: IPP> PRO Section 9.7 vs. MOD section 4.3: need clarifica

Carl Kugler (kugler@us.ibm.com)
Mon, 6 Apr 1998 19:24:32 -0400

Tom Hastings wrote:
>At 14:28 04/06/1998 PDT, Carl Kugler wrote:
>>Thanks, Bob, I think I get it now.
>>
>>Maybe your answer also provides a clue to my next question:
>>
>>If attributes-charset and attributes-natural-language Job Description=

>>Attributes are MANDATORY according to MOD/4.3, why aren't they shown =
as
>>MANDATORY in "Group 3: Job Object Attributes" under
>>
>> Print-Job Response:
>> Print-URI Response:
>> Create-Job Response:
>> Send-Document Response:
>> Send-URI Response:
>> Get-Job-Attributes Response:
>> Get-Jobs Response:
>>
>>in MOD/15.3.4.3 "Validate the presence of a single occurrence of requ=
ired
>>Operation attributes"?
>
>Because "attributes-charset" and "attributes-natural-language" MUST
>be returned in Group 1 (not Group 3) as shown.
>
>See sections 3.1.4.2 Response Operation Attributes and
>Sections 3.2 Printer Operations under each Xxx Response Group 1.
>
>As Bob explained, MANDATORY in the document mostly means that a
>Server MUST support the attribute. It is a separate question as to wh=
ether
>the client MUST supply a MANDATORY attribute and whether an IPP object=

>MUST return a MANDATORY attribute. In some cases, the client MUST
>supply a MANDATORY attribute and in other cases the client NEED NOT
>supply the MANDATORY attribute in a request. Similarly, in some cases=
,
>an IPP object MUST supply a MANDATORY attribute and in other cases the=
IPP
>object NEED NOT supply the MANDATORY attribute in a response.
>
>We tried to avoid using the word MANDATORY and OPTIONAL to mean whethe=
>a sender had to supply in a request or a response. We tried to only
>use the words MANDATORY and OPTIONAL to mean whether an IPP object
>had to implement or not.
>
>So there are four combinations for attributes in requests, of which on=
ly
>three are possible:
>
> MANDATORY OPTIONAL for an IPP object to support
>
>MUST supply we have we don't have
>
>MAY omit we have we have

So, attributes-charset and attributes-natural-language are MANDATORY Jo=
Description Attributes (4.3.23 and 4.3.24) only in the sense that a Pri=
nter
must support them. I.e., it must be able return them if a client reque=
sts
them specifically?

>Keep those questions coming. We can always improve the spec and fix
>bugs that you find.
>

>>Could it be that the word MANDATORY has different meanings in these t=
wo
>>sections?
>
>See above.
>

>> 4.3: MANDATORY ... attribute[s] MUST be supported by Printer object=
s.
>>If it is not indicated as MANDATORY, then it is OPTIONAL
>>
>> 15.3.4.3: MANDATORY attributes [are those] that an IPP object MUST
>>support and that a client MUST supply
>
>I think I see the confusion. The entire section in 15.3.4.3 is:
>
>The following tables list all the attributes for all the operations by=

>attribute group in each request and each response. The left to right =
order
>of the groups is the order that the client supplies the groups as spec=
ified
>in Section 3.3. The order of the attributes within a group is arbitra=
ry,
>though the tables below lists the attributes in the following order wi=
th
>the following notation:
>
>(M) MANDATORY attributes that an IPP object MUST support and that a
client
>MUST supply
>
>(M*) MANDATORY attributes that an IPP object MUST support, but that a
>client may omit in a request or an IPP object may omit in a response
>
>(O) OPTIONAL attributes that an IPP object NEED NOT support
>
>(O*) OPTIONAL attributes that an IPP object NEED NOT support and a
client
>may omit in a request or an IPP object may omit in a response
>
>The first line is NOT the definition of MANDATORY, but is explaining
>the notation (M) which means MANDATORY and that a client MUST supply.

But the context here is a Response, which surely is supplied by a
Printer, never a client?

Why aren't the attributes-charset and attributes-natural-language (M*) =
for
"Group 3: Job Object Attributes"?

>The notation (M*) in the second line is also MANDATORY, but a client M=
AY
>omit. The presence or absence of the "*" indicates whether the MANDAT=
ORY

=