IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> IPP, independently of HTTP, Requires Chunking?

RE: IPP> IPP, independently of HTTP, Requires Chunking?

Zehler, Peter (Peter.Zehler@usa.xerox.com)
Fri, 17 Apr 1998 07:45:31 PDT

All,
Regarding IPP testing experience with chunking/IPP. I have not yet seen
anyone that has tried this. The tests I have been involved in, up to very
recently, used HTTP 1.0. This was due to the limitations of JDK. I have
not yet pursued the added complexity of chunking. This is a function of
IPP's underlying transport(HTTP 1.1). I have been concentrating on the IPP
PAD and method invocation. I would love to hear anyone with some concrete
experience with IPP and chunking.
The interoperability test plans calls for a print submission with and
without the client chunking its request. I had not thought of the server
chunking its reply. Should this be added to the "top 25" IPP tests?
I do not see where IPP requires chunking. I believe it currently is a
requirement of IPP's protocol mapping to handle the situation where the size
of the request/response is not known until the end. HTTP solved this by
chunking data. If IPP were mapped to another protocol we would depend on
the new protocol's method to handle this problem or pull the solution for
the problem up into the IPP layer.
Pete
Peter Zehler
XEROX