IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> IPP, independently of HTTP, Requires Chunking ? Was: Mi

RE: IPP> IPP, independently of HTTP, Requires Chunking ? Was: Mi

Josh Cohen (joshco@microsoft.com)
Tue, 21 Apr 1998 17:44:15 -0700

the difference is that chunking doesnt really allow for
resending only certain chunks instead of the whole thing.
There is no chunk acknowledgement or chunk sequencing,
which you would need to resume an aborted or failed transfer.

In HTTP a way of resuming an aborted transfer is to use byte
ranges to request the remainder of a resource. This seems like
it would be difficult to use with IPP since you are posting data.

Chunking is just for sending content of unknown length,
not for retransmission stuff.