IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> ADM - Reminder about job openings and home work ass

RE: IPP> ADM - Reminder about job openings and home work ass

Randy Turner (rturner@sharplabs.com)
Sun, 26 Apr 1998 19:18:08 -0700

The fact that no one is shipping SNMPv3 today in printers is irrevelant.

No one is shipping IPP with security today either.

We are designing protocols that will have to last for a number of years, so
we have
to consider the way networks are managed today, as well as how they are likely
to be managed in the future.

Also, because we chose to make security optional in IPP 1.0, this means
that most embedded printer vendors probably will not implement it. And the
available security
methods available for SNMPv3 are more robust than "digest" or "basic" HTTP
authentication, which even these security mechanisms wouldn't even be
available
in something as "lightweight" as SDP.

Randy