IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> ADM - Reminder about job openings and home work

RE: IPP> ADM - Reminder about job openings and home work

Randy Turner (rturner@sharplabs.com)
Mon, 27 Apr 1998 08:22:29 -0700

I also agree that the Printer MIB is an agreed upon way to represent a
Printer, and it, and SNMP, are rich enough to satisfy an IPP profile for a
host-to-device managment protocol.

I believe there are also embedded web servers that access (in a different way
than OIDs), printer MIB objects. Very few of these servers allow you to
"update"
these objects, usually they just display them. And if these web servers do
allow
users to update these objects, and do NOT allow a way to secure updating
these
objects, then this system is broken. Especially if these are high-end
departmental or enterprise printing facilities.

At the end of Peter's message is the list of things he is concerned about.
I think there are alot of other design issues that will have to be
addressed. It seems to me that there were decisions made during the design
of the Printer MIB, and its links to the host MIB, that presumed that the
objects would be retrieved using SNMP mechanisms, and we might have relied
on the fact that indices and other information are automatically returned
by SNMP PDUs.

My overall opinion is that its not entirely necessary to have one protocol
(IPP) be good at everything, its just going to get very complex (and huge)
to implement. We should use the best tool for the job and there are
semantic and operational aspects of the IPP model that do not translate
well (IMHO) to a robust device management protocol.

Randy