IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> ? on IPP direction concerning XML

RE: IPP> ? on IPP direction concerning XML

Frank Mason (frankm@extendsys.com)
Mon, 27 Apr 1998 14:32:29 -0600

Carl-Uno in general I agree with your statement to "Don't believe
everything you read in the press" but the article has disturbing
quotes (see below) from sources within IPP subgroup. If it is the
case that these are misquotes then sorry for the extra traffic but, if
these are true issues I have real concerns for the future of IPP. The
article goes on to say that MS and HP seem willing to abide by
whatever IPP standard is adopted. As you are skeptical of the Press
I'm just as skeptical of Microsoft "abiding" by an outside bodies
decisions.

Please help me to understand this....

Frank Mason

Quotes from March issue of THE HARD COPY OBSERVER:
-----------------------
"At the January meeting of the IPP in Maui, Hawaii, Microsoft (with
Hewlett-Packard's support) said it would OPPOSE the current draft
standard if the group did not stop the process to consider the
change."

"Any printing standard that does not have the combined blessing of
these two industry giants would be doomed from the start" IPP Member
Jay Martin from Underscore

"XML-based Internet Printing Solution could compromise the ability of
developers to create lightweight implementations of IPP" IPP subgroup
member David Kellerman from Northlake SW

"Although members are skeptical about the XML proposal, most feel a
reluctance and futility about opposing Microsoft and Hewlett-Packard"