IPP Mail Archive: IPP> ADM - Minutes from PWG IPP Phone Conference 980506

IPP Mail Archive: IPP> ADM - Minutes from PWG IPP Phone Conference 980506

IPP> ADM - Minutes from PWG IPP Phone Conference 980506

Carl-Uno Manros (manros@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Thu, 7 May 1998 14:57:02 PDT

Minutes from PWG IPP Phone Conference 980506
============================================

Attending:

Randy Turner
Don Wright
Jay Martin
Carl-Uno Manros
Tom Hastings
Roger deBry
Harry Lewis
Bob Herriot
Scott Isaacson

Main agenda points:

- Discussion of white paper "Print Server-to-Device Protocol Proposal"
- New draft of white paper "Event notifications for the IPP print protocol"
- New draft of white paper "IPP Device and MIB access"
- Plans for PWG IPP meeting At Crystal City on May 20-21, 1998

Discussion of white paper "Print Server-to-Device Protocol Proposal"
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Roger introduced the paper. Points raised in the discussion:
- Don did not see an advantage to do things differently from TIP/SI.
- Bob suggested that the proposal duplicates some TCP/IP functionality
- Randy suggested that we need to define a transport independent solution,
but document required properties of the transport
- Randy suggested that IEEE 1284.4 could be used in combination with IPP
semantics and syntax

Further discussion is obviously needed, but there was a tendency to
consider whether mapping of IPP semantics to a new transport independent
layer and use of a TIP/SI subset might be an acceptable route.

Conclusion to put the subject on the agenda for the upcoming IPP meeting,
preferably on the Thursday as Randy may not be able to attend Wednesday.
Harry will prepare a draft PWG charter for this work, and Randy will
prepare short presentations on IEEE 1284.3 and 1284.4 for the meeting. Don
will send out references to electronic copies of the 1284.3 and 1284.4 drafts.

Finally, it was emphasised that this activity is:

IN NO WAY INTENDED AS AN ALTERNIVE OR REPLACEMENT FOR IPP V1.0,

but rather a natural extension and complement. The detailed further
discussion will be held on the SDP DL.

New draft of white paper "Event notifications for the IPP print protocol"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tom introduced the changes that had been done since the previous version.
Remaining issues will be discussed in the upcoming IPP meeting. Tom and
Harry will update the paper once more before the IPP meeting. The intension
is to produce an IETF I-D after that meeting.
Carl-Uno suggested to loook at Josh Cohen's draft on event notifications
for WebDAV to determine if that might provide one future method for IPP
notification delivery.

New draft of white paper "IPP Device and MIB access"
----------------------------------------------------

A new draft had just been sent out. Scott introduced the paper briefly, but
it was decided to leave all discussion until the IPP meeting.

Final Editing
-------------

Carl-Uno asked Scott and Bob as editors to pull together any small
editorial fixes that we want to get into the RFC versions for IPP V1.0.
Please send messages to the editors for any such things that you have
discovered ASAP.

Plans for PWG IPP meeting At Crystal City on May 20-21, 1998
------------------------------------------------------------

Scott will prepare the final agenda and chair the next PWG IPP meeting as
Carl-Uno will be on vacation. The agenda should include the subjects
mentioned above plus any feedback from the IESG, and a session on IPP
interoperability testing.

Carl-Uno will be vacationing in Europe May 11-26, but is carrying a laptop,
so do not get too wild...

---

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros Principal Engineer - Advanced Printing Standards - Xerox Corporation 701 S. Aviation Blvd., El Segundo, CA, M/S: ESAE-231 Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514 Email: manros@cp10.es.xerox.com