IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP>MOD Status code for URI's too long?

Re: IPP>MOD Status code for URI's too long?

Van Dang (dangv@ecs.csus.edu)
Tue, 12 May 1998 12:18:54 -0700 (PDT)

If I interpret the IPP/1.0 Model and Semantics document
section 13.1.4.10 correctly, the error "client-error-request-
uri-too-long (0x0409)", should be used when a uri attribute
length is <= 1023 bytes but greater than the length that is
supported by the IPP object. In the case where the uri
attribute length actually exceeds 1023, the error returned
should be "client-error-bad-request (0x0400)".

We can change "client-error-request-uri-too-long" to
"client-error-request-value-too-long" to include the cases
for text and name attributes, but its use should indicate
that the attribute value itself conforms to the IPP boundary
limit, but might be too big for the IPP object to process.

Van D.